Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Keeping it a Priority

Tonight I realized I haven't written as many blogs this month, and in fact, the posts have steadily decreased since I started writing here at the end of March. After four months, my explanations and excuses could be many and varied, but perhaps there is some remnant of success that explains the apparent lackadaisical posting process.

The need to put things down on paper is a cleansing that purges bad thoughts, ill will and other misconceived components that clog up, not only the mind and spirit, but the physical body as well. The connection between all three facets of our being are not easily separated and when one does not function up to par, the others, in their attempt to compensate, sometimes fall behind as well. My attempt to document my challenge gained momentum as it plunged full speed ahead. I had something to prove - that my weight and the repeated efforts to lose it, are my challenge. No one else can do that for me, although, I am blessed with a wonderful support system - something required in any of life's challenges.

During the beginning of this effort, I found I had to make myself realize the areas that are my downfall and by writing about them, I was able to identify the things that I needed to change about myself in order to direct a change in things that were not going well for me. The repetition was systematic and I wrote more and posted regularly, in a scheduled manner, much like the one that is needed to take control of your eating, your exercise, your water consumption, your supplement and vitamin taking, toward implementing a general change in your life and your lifestyle.

Now, I am not claiming great feats of accomplishment but there is a balance that happens to show that the efforts are working in some respects. I don't have to continue to remind myself to drink more water, for instance. I always have a glass of water at home, or a bottle of water on my desk at work, and am enjoying just a glass of water with meals instead of other beverages. Pop and flavored-artificially-sweetened waters are no longer part of my regular intake. An overly busy life was usually the reason/excuse for fast food stops - I am just as busy but even when tired, it is more appealing to cook something healthy upon arriving home, than to stop and fill a hunger need with unhealthy substances. I have had the occasional McD's breakfast but nothing that would constitute a habit-forming precedence. I have, however, made taking multi-vitamins, D3, Flax Oil, and Calcium supplements a habit and this could contribute to the "feeling better in the bones." Mind you, there are still some aches and minor pains, but getting better all the time.

The Canada Health Food Guide recommendations have become a part of our routine - Kelsey and I are beginning to watch our intake to ensure we are getting the required servings of fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy products, grains ... and fibre. Once you start, believe me it works! Sweets are limited, white flour products are not used (whole wheat pasta is awesome!) and we are cooking more meals with olive oil using any and all non-fry methods of cooking. It takes time to get yourself into a routine but it soon becomes the norm. The secret to keeping yourself in a forward motion is not getting all hung up on days that might not seem as good - allowing yourself that craving once in awhile makes all the difference in accepting the rest of the time in a healthy way. Going out for a meal doesn't have to throw you off your "diet" if you just remember to select something that contributes to your change, rather than sabotaging it. (No fries!)

My concern that blogging here is reduced because of my concentration on the necessary changes can be taken as somewhat of a success, even though I am miles away from the award presentation! This is going to be continuous and is a matter that must be take seriously from now on.

My continuing challenge is to remember where I was, where I am, and where I am going. I am happy to say that my spirit is strong and here's hoping that my knees and hips last just as long.

No comments:

Post a Comment