Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day by Day

I would like to say that I have more to post than just a quick hello, but I am afraid that would be stretching it right now. I almost feel like there is nothing to say and I am afraid that I might bore you to tears with random ramblings about intake and output and control. The truth is, sometimes, I feel in control and at others, I don't. There is no real reason to be as dependent as I might have been in the past - keeping busy keeps your hands and mind occupied and, therefore, your mouth empty. Most of the time, anyway.

I am still trying to be good by watching what I eat and more importantly, watching the portions that are eaten. Seconds are not a dieter's friend and I tried to remind myself of that fact, but when things taste so good... seconds just taste soooooo much better. It is all about prolonging the pleasure and I'm not sure why I don't just eat the first helping extra slowly, savoring every bite, chewing more and thinking less about what is left in the pot... (or perhaps, ensuring that there is no extra in the pot would work, too.) Water consumption is second nature right now; I'd even go so far as to say that it feels like something's missing if I don't have that glass or bottle nearby. I do not know if I have lost any weight as I do not have a scale, but I do know that my clothes are not tight and I feel good about dressing up for work, most days. Other days, I'd just rather be able to stay home anyway, and that has nothing to do with dressing up. It's more to do with liking to stay home...

Except for a couple of Tylenol I have not taken any back pills since June 27th so feel that this is a big accomplishment - until a pain hits, then it's a quick failure but I am reluctant to take anything again so I can rid my system of two year's worth of over the counter relief. I find that some days I am able to do more than I ever had - then the reverse, I'm back to ouch-ouch-ouch... and doing nothing is a welcome chore. I am still the same, however, I try to do more than I should when I feel that I can, because I know at some point it catches up with me again. There are worse things, so I can live it.

I give myself the pep talk - you can eat what you want as long as it's mostly vegetables or fruit. I listen, sometimes... but mostly, I've been good. Birthday parties and pot luck lunches have a way of detaching you from your resolve but they are quickly over and it's back to the regime again. Take the necessary vitamins and supplements. Eat breakfast. Take a lunch. Add all the food groups... did you know fibre is your friend? Doesn't feel like it to begin with but it's good for the end result :S We cook at home the majority of the time so consider that a big win for our side.

Despite days when it feels like I'm not doing anything, or doing very little, or not taking it serious enough because small victories call for a celebratory treat... despite the fact that this is going to take a lot of time and more energy than I want to expend... for now, I'm just taking this challenge, day by day, so rest assured I'm hanging in there because I'm doing this thing for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Linda.
    I haven't written in a long time. I am exhausted with this moving thing (too old to be moving I have concluded).
    Anyway I read ur blog, just haven't had the energy to comment, but I think of you and your struggle every day & I send you good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete