Friday, August 27, 2010

Magic is Within - to a Certain Degree

There is no little magic pill.

It's that blatantly simple.

It's that confusingly complex.

Many would argue, and I would certainly agree, there are pills that save lives by keeping the recipients ... alive. They add something to the body's composition that is either lacking or they subtract that which is in excess. A normal system can fend for itself but many health issues are not just so easy to control with a practiced healthy living style. Medical issues can be less severe, postponed or in some cases, eradicated - but if a person is predisposed to a condition through genetics, then pills are going to be helpful, but not the saving grace. Here is where we say, the magic is within, to a certain degree. To "want to be healthy" and "being healthy" are ends unto their own. No matter how desperate someone is to be healthy, it is not possible to separate the dependency on pills from the desire to live free of them, if they are what keeps us living.
Overweight is a huge business, pun intended. Just plug in a search topic "diet pills" and the Internet is ripe with information - write ups and comments and claims, all over, state the same thing... "there is no magic pill when it comes to weight loss." A reasonably educated person knows that; I am also well aware of the dangers in relying on pills for helping with health situations. Trying to restore health to a body that has been mistreated - it's a long, long road to recovery. The little boost that a diet pill might give me is only the tip of the ice berg - there has to be a constant commitment to the health and well-being of a body, realizing that you only have one, and it should be a shrine, a temple, a possession to be treasured.
Obesity is outweighing most other health conditions, and it is even claimed to be of epidemic proportions in the US - I am sure that Canada does not fair much better in studies. An article on the web site Examiner.com reveals staggering and shocking statistics about being overweight and the probably of a shortened life span when it is part of what is known as the "deadly quartet" - high blood pressure, elevated bad cholesterol, and Type-2 diabetes.
So far, I have to combat two of the baddies, and came away from this morning's doctor's appointment with prescriptions in hand - Meridia for another two weeks and Crestor for moderating my moderately high cholesterol. Today, my results show that my weight dropped 4 lbs over the past two weeks, my blood pressure was great and there seems to be no lasting side-effects from taking the 10mg Meridia. My doctor has upped the dose to 15mg and perhaps, only a minor bout with insomnia might ensue while my body adjusts to the prescription. I still reserve judgment regarding its success for me, but am optimistic that things are improving with a constant watch on what I eat, making sure I drink my water, and taking the supplements I am currently on. The biggest change, other than getting back into a normal sleep pattern, was that I noticed portion size did decrease. My reservations in accepting big benefits with taking this diet pill, is that appetite did not always dictate what or how much was eaten. If the pill can suppress the desire for "feeling good" because of an awesome taste or comfort, then it might just work. I am open to being wrong on this one, for my sake.
I am happy to have found the doctor who is willing to appreciate my situation and help me with it, finding success in whatever way we need to. I go back in two weeks "just to check" and she apologized that she might seem like she's bugging me, but she just wants to be sure that this is working for me, and not against me. Once there is confirmation that things are moving along smoothly, I won't have to go back as often. I also have to go in six weeks for lab work to check on my blood and the cholesterol levels.
All in all, I am feeling not too bad even though I still don't have desire (or time) to go and exercise more, knowing full well that this is one thing my body reacts to in the weigh loss arena, having been there before. However, I am reluctant to over do anything to set myself "back." I am very pleased with the fact that I do not have to take over the counter or prescription back medication at this time.
One pill out. Two pills in.

No comments:

Post a Comment