Monday, August 16, 2010

Managing Monday

I never minded Mondays. In the past I usually had a place where I wanted to be, and if I didn't want to be there, I certainly changed it. Everyone who knows me, knows that change could be my middle name, because I wear it like it's me and never fear it. Today, Monday means I go to a job I really love but also manage to miss sometimes, depending upon how my back is doing. It's very hard to determine what is going to happen based on what I do over the weekend. Sometimes I can do actual physical work and feel much better, even if a slight bit stiff and sore. Other times, like this weekend, I can sit most of the hours - writing, posting, blogging, doing other paperwork - and then be worse off than if I did some yard work, house work, or whatever.

The difference for this weekend is I started the prescription for Meridia on Saturday morning. I believe that I will have to gauge the benefits of the diet pills as one of the side effects is insomnia. I have never (okay 99%) had a problem getting or going to sleep. I exercise my mind constantly and that tires me out enough to fall asleep with no trouble. Last night, however, roll, twist and turn - I could not go to sleep and when I did I woke up, unable to fall back asleep for some time. Leaves nothing to the imagination - without proper sleep/rest, my back feels it and with that, I cannot get a decent sleep. Another vicious cycle. Needless to say, I would be useless at work today, so find myself staying home to nurse my wounds. Dramatic, huh?

I've read some posts lately by friends and friends of friends regarding stress and its affect on the human body. I try to manage my stress by not worrying about the things that cannot be helped, changed, or prevented. My body does absorb it, even though, it might be subconsciously. A situation with our pay cheques and their timely deposit, lurked in the back of mind over the weekend, and I would be mistaken to say it did not bother me. At least, internally. These kinds of things are there, you brush them aside, but the consequences of dealing with the results remains as I think of correcting something that is wrong, despite my attempt to ignore it. Hopefully, the situation is resolved without negative results and I can go on without having to "fix" things.

The good news to report is my conscious effort to watch what I have eaten and could actually report it without telling a white lie :0 meaning, I wouldn't try to hide something because for two days there was nothing to hide. I found that staying home to write and catch up on various on-the-go projects, helped me grab that focus I so needed. Breakfasts both days consisted of 1/2 cup of Fiber1, some blueberries and strawberries and 1% milk. I remembered all my vitamins and supplements; drank my water; and had my coffee, which ends up with only 1% milk by the time Monday rolls around - out of Vanilla creamer, and not out shopping. Both breakfasts were later in the morning so I did not eat again until supper time. Saturday was mostly vegetables with some seafood mixed in - stir fried in olive oil with pepper and lemon juice to season. Sunday night, Kelsey made scrumptious wraps - whole wheat (another good source of fiber) with lots of vegetables and chicken. We did not over do it as we have two wraps, were satisfied and put the left overs away for today's meal ... maybe even lunch.

Little steps. Little bit forward. Little bit closer to the desired goal.

1 comment:

  1. It's difficult when a prescription that is supposed to help serves to hinder in another area with an unwanted side affect. Sometimes, it's just a matter of your body adjusting to the medication. I would check with your doctor and see what she thinks about giving it some time. Of course, if the side affect renders you useless in the most important area of your life (making a living), what choice do you really have? I'm really hoping it settles down for you and you can continue taking it long enough to see if it benefits you in the area it is supposed to.

    Stress? Read my latest blog entry. lol You are NOT alone, my freind. Hang in there and don't forget to breathe! Remember, you have people in your cheering section who are here to support you in thought and deed!

    ReplyDelete